English plus Academic Subjects
• expand your vocabulary
• learn subjects in more depth
Develop your English language skills while studying your favourite subjects
|David Fowkes, Director of Academic Summer Courses explains:Who is it for? Students who want to develop their command of the English Language in the context of a range of academic subjects.|
Who is this course for? As the language of global communication, English is increasingly used to study academic subjects in schools and colleges. This course creates opportunities for students to join a global academic and business community.
Study academic subjects and develop your English language skills
This course allows confident speakers of English to develop command of English through the study of academic subjects.
Students taking this course will:
- Meet and analyse the three main genres of literature
- Study and visit a Shakespeare play
- Extend their English vocabulary
- Develop practical science skills and learn scientific terminology
- Improve and practise English grammar
- Collaborate with a wide range of nationalities to produce a humanities presentation
- Master technical terms in History, Economics and Psychology
- Engage in topical debate with other students
A three week progression of activities designed to challenge and develop:
Week 1: Experiencing
English + Shakespeare
- The conventions of literature through Shakespeare’s work.
Week 2: Harnessing
English + Science
- Scientific terminology and vocabulary using practical laboratory work.
Week 3: Producing
English + Humanities
Academic writing and collaborative presentations which marry analytical and linguistic skills.
- Themes taken from Mathematics, Business, Economics, History, and Geography
Contact the Department
Student profiles is a blog feature designed to celebrate our international student body and their achievements. We are very proud of all our students, and love to share their success stories with anyone who will listen! Lourdes joined our English for Life...
Students from our Teenager Courses headed to Stratford Upon-Avon for a walking tour as one of the many excursions we offer. They visited the iconic places around the town including William's Shakespeare's house, his school and the famous Royal Shakespeare...
Oxford is a popular destination for many, attracting students and tourists from all over the world. The city has so much to offer, from iconic English heritage to its quaint cafes and restaurants. If you needed more convincing, here are our top ten reasons to...