English plus Academic Subjects
• expand your vocabulary
• learn subjects in more depth
Develop your English language skills while studying your favourite subjects
|David Fowkes, Director of Academic Summer Courses explains:Who is it for? Students who want to develop their command of the English Language in the context of a range of academic subjects.|
Who is this course for? As the language of global communication, English is increasingly used to study academic subjects in schools and colleges. This course creates opportunities for students to join a global academic and business community.
Study academic subjects and develop your English language skills
This course allows confident speakers of English to develop command of English through the study of academic subjects.
Students taking this course will:
- Meet and analyse the three main genres of literature
- Study and visit a Shakespeare play
- Extend their English vocabulary
- Develop practical science skills and learn scientific terminology
- Improve and practise English grammar
- Collaborate with a wide range of nationalities to produce a humanities presentation
- Master technical terms in History, Economics and Psychology
- Engage in topical debate with other students
A three week progression of activities designed to challenge and develop:
Week 1: Experiencing
English + Shakespeare
- The conventions of literature through Shakespeare’s work.
Week 2: Harnessing
English + Science
- Scientific terminology and vocabulary using practical laboratory work.
Week 3: Producing
English + Humanities
Academic writing and collaborative presentations which marry analytical and linguistic skills.
- Themes taken from Mathematics, Business, Economics, History, and Geography
Contact the Department
The students took a weekend trip to the seaside county of Cornwall where they were able to familiarise themselves with the challenging waves while trying their hand at surfing. The weekend was filled with laughter where they were first taught the technique of surfing...
Highlights of the Adult Summer Courses at the International College, including study visits, excursions and social activities.
One of the more popular activities at St. Clare's is horse riding. Be it in the rolling hills of the Cotswolds or the serene beaches of the New Forest, what better way to experience it than on horseback? Further Reading We make sure that you will have a...