English plus Academic Subjects
• expand your vocabulary
• learn subjects in more depth
Develop your English language skills while studying your favourite subjects
|David Fowkes, Director of Academic Summer Courses explains:Who is it for? Students who want to develop their command of the English Language in the context of a range of academic subjects.|
Who is this course for? As the language of global communication, English is increasingly used to study academic subjects in schools and colleges. This course creates opportunities for students to join a global academic and business community.
Study academic subjects and develop your English language skills
This course allows confident speakers of English to develop command of English through the study of academic subjects.
Students taking this course will:
- Meet and analyse the three main genres of literature
- Study and visit a Shakespeare play
- Extend their English vocabulary
- Develop practical science skills and learn scientific terminology
- Improve and practise English grammar
- Collaborate with a wide range of nationalities to produce a humanities presentation
- Master technical terms in History, Economics and Psychology
- Engage in topical debate with other students
A three week progression of activities designed to challenge and develop:
Week 1: Experiencing
English + Shakespeare
- The conventions of literature through Shakespeare’s work.
Week 2: Harnessing
English + Science
- Scientific terminology and vocabulary using practical laboratory work.
Week 3: Producing
English + Humanities
Academic writing and collaborative presentations which marry analytical and linguistic skills.
- Themes taken from Mathematics, Business, Economics, History, and Geography
Contact the Department
On Wednesday, the Fantasy Literature and Oxford course took a two-hour guided tour of The Kilns, CS Lewis' home in Headington. The students, having read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, as well as biographical pieces about Lewis and his role as a member of the...
Our amazing, brilliant and nutty Course Director for the Junior Summer Course Nina Ward celebrated her 20th year with us at St Clare's! Her daily tasks involve running the busy and fun packed Junior Course as well as ensuring students settle in happily and smoothly....
Janek Bielski is currently studying at The International College as well as working as an intern for Paul Sinclair. He has been at St Clare’s since September and he is due to return to his home institution University of San Diego in January. On the 1 December 2017, he...