Preparatory IB course
• take up to 2 IGCSEs including English
• study in England’s 1st IB World School
Our Preparatory IB course helps you develop your study skills for the International Baccalaureate Diploma
|Age:||15-16 years old|
|Start date:||September, January or April (only September starters will be offered the IGCSE option)|
|Length:||1, 2 or 3 terms|
|Class:||Maximum 15 students|
|Lessons:||30 hours of classroom lessons Monday to Friday|
|Lesson length:||55 minutes|
|Annual fees:||Day students: £20,276 Residential students: £42,203|
Our Preparatory IB course helps you progress to the IB Diploma
Subject offering: Our Pre-IB course develops your knowledge in the key subjects covered in the IB Diploma including English Literature, English Language, Maths, Science, Arts and Humanities
Progression route: If you successfully complete our Pre-IB course you can develop onto our IB Diploma
Internationally recognised qualification: Our Pre-IB offering gives you the chance to gain IGCSEs in English and Maths
Quality IB teaching: We have been offering the IB Diploma for over 40 years. Our Pre-IB course is taught by specialist IB teachers; many of whom are IB examiners
England’s first IB World School: Our experience reflects our academic resources, including modern teaching spaces, well-equipped science laboratories and a state of the art design studio
Flexible course entry: You can start our Pre-IB course September, January or April. September starters can utilise our full academic offering and achieve up to 2 IGCSEs upon completion of the course
Pre-IB methodology: Our Pre-IB course links in with the qualities and attributes of the IB learner profile which encourages learners to become balanced, caring, communicators, inquirers, knowledgeable, open minded, principled, risk-takers, reflective and thinkers
Discover new experiences: Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS) promotes the opportunity to develop new skills through unique experiences. Create your own CAS programme from over 50 experiences a week.Service is not a compulsory element, instead you can choose between 2 Creativity and 1 Activity, or 2 Activity and 1 Creativity.
Dedicated support through small class sizes: Provides a positive academic environment for you to thrive
Experienced pastoral support: Our dedicated team supports your wellbeing during your studies
Inspiring learning environment: Oxford offers a range of academic resources as it is a world famous student city
As an IB World School, we prepare for your IB studies and help you achieve up to 2 IGCSE qualifications
The IGCSE adds to the scope and quality of our Pre-IB provision. The key benefits include:
- Excellent preparation for the IB Diploma: If you are selected to take the IGCSE in Maths, you will gain a recognised qualification in Maths and be equipped for our 2 new IB Maths courses ‘Analysis and Approaches’ and ‘Applications and Interpretation’
- Complements progression to the IB Diploma: Our IGCSE award in English either as a native and non-native speaker, enables you to be fully prepared for either our Group 1 or Group 2 course offering at IB level
- Flexible course options: the majority of students will be able to access one of our IGCSE English courses. More able mathematicians will also be able to access our IGCSE Maths course
- IGCSE awards: You can take up to 2 IGCSE qualifications in just 2 years. Our next cohort starts in September 2020
- Prestigious awarding body: Cambridge Assessment is a quality provider of the IGCSE
- Benefits future career aspirations: A specialist qualification in Maths and English complements university applications, supports professional development and strengthens career prospects; IGCSEs are recognised by employers worldwide.
- The core subjects are English and Maths. All students take 4 hours of mathematics a week, 2 hours of World Literature and 8 hours of English (IB groups 1, 2 & 5). English and Maths classes are arranged by ability so that you receive the right level of support. Students taking the Maths IGCSE will have an additional 2 hours of weekly mathematics tuition.
- You will select 3 of each per semester (in subject groups 1 to 6). We offer 4 Humanities subjects, 4 Sciences and 4 Arts subjects (groups 3, 4 & 6).