Preparatory IB course
• start in September, January or April
• highly experienced IB teachers
Our Pre-IB course is designed to develop your study skills and enhance your subject knowledge in the IB subject areas
|Age:||15-16 year olds|
|Level:||Key Stage 4|
|Start date:||September, January or April|
|Class:||maximum 12 students|
|Lessons:||Monday to Friday (30 hours)|
|Tuition Fees:||Day students: £19,207 Residential students: £39,977|
|Pre-IB info sheet:||Pre-IB info sheet 2018-2019|
Our Pre-IB programme provides quality academic teaching to support your progression to the IB Diploma
Subject choices: Our Pre-IB course enriches your subject knowledge in the key areas covered in the IB Diploma including English Literature, English Language, Maths, Arts, Humanities and Science
Flexible progression options: If you successfully complete our Pre-IB course, you can choose to progress to our IB Diploma
Internationally recognised qualification: We have just launched a new IGCSE in English and Maths, which enables you to complete our Pre-IB course and gain an international qualification
Quality teaching: We have offered the IB Diploma for over 40 years. Our Pre-IB course is taught by specialist teaching staff who deliver our IB Diploma; many of whom are IB examiners
England’s first IB World School: Our experience reflects our academic resources, including well-equipped science laboratories and modern teaching spaces to inspire learning
Flexible start dates: You can start our Pre-IB course in September, January or April
Pre-IB methodology: A key aspect of our Pre-IB course is the emphasis on skills development and establishing a globally-minded outlook. This links in with the qualities and attributes of the IB learner profile which encourages learners to become knowledgeable, open minded, inquirers, thinkers, communicators, principled, risk-takers, reflective, balanced and caring
Learning approaches: You will learn about the Theory of Knowledge (TOK) which is fundamental to the IB Diploma programme and discover how this can be applied to the key IB subjects. This element promotes critical thinking and international mindedness
Discover new experiences: Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS) promotes the opportunity to have fun and develop skills through new experiences. Create your own CAS programme from over 50 experiences a week, and develop a project that inspires you to engage with these 3 strands
More than studying: As well as our CAS programme, our academic provision includes sports and social activities at the college
Maximum classes of 12 students: Small class sizes of 12 students provides quality academic support
Pastoral support: We have a strong pastoral provision to support your wellbeing during your studies
Thriving multicultural city: The academic resources in Oxford, make it an inspiring place to study.
IGCSE courses in Maths and English which can be taken as part of your Pre-IB course
The IGCSE adds to the scope and quality of our Pre-IB provision. The key benefits include:
- Excellent preparation for the IB Diploma: you will gain a recognised qualification in Maths whilst also being completely equipped for our two new IB Maths courses – “Analysis and Approaches” and “Applications and Interpretation”
- Complements progression to the IB Diploma: you will gain a specialist award in English either as a native or non-native speaker which will allow you to be fully prepared for either our Group 1 or Group 2 English course offering at IB level
- Dedicated support: with small-class teaching and expert tuition you will build your mathematical and linguistic skills in a supportive academic environment
- Flexible course options: all students will be able to access one of our IGCSE English courses. More able mathematicians will also be able to access our IGCSE Maths course.
- Quality teaching: we have established a reputation for teaching excellence for over 60 years
- Intensive study: You can complete the IGCSE qualification in just one year. Our next cohort starts in September 2019
- Renowned awarding body: Our awarding body is Cambridge Assessment, which is a well-known quality provider of the IGCSE
- Benefits future career aspirations: A specialist qualification in Maths and English can complement your university application, support professional development and strengthen your career prospects, as the IGCSE is recognised by employers worldwide.
- The core subjects are English and Maths. All students take 4 hours of mathematics a week, 2 hours of World Literature and 8 hours of English (IB groups 1, 2 & 5). English and Maths classes are arranged by ability so that you receive the right level of support. Students taking the Maths IGCSE will have an additional 2 hours of weekly mathematics tuition.
- You will select 3 of each per semester (in subject groups 1 to 6). We offer 4 Humanities subjects, 4 Sciences and 4 Arts subjects (groups 3, 4 & 6).
Contact the Department
|Chris or Olivia|
|+44 1865 517304|
|Office hours: Monday-Friday 0900-1700 GMT|
Please fill in this form to submit an enquiry on our Pre-IB course, or call us on +44 1865 517304.
You may also wish to get in touch to arrange a campus tour or find out what it is like to live and study in the city of Oxford.
We look forward to hearing from you.