Preparatory IB course
• start in September, January or April
• highly experienced IB teachers
Our Pre-IB course is designed to develop your study skills and enhance your subject knowledge in the IB subject areas
|Age:||15-16 years old|
|Start date:||September, January or April|
|Length:||1, 2 or 3 terms (from September 2020: 2 academic years if you take the iGCSE)|
|Class:||Maximum 15 students|
|Lessons:||30 hours of classroom lessons Monday to Friday|
|Lesson length:||55 minutes|
|Annual fees:||Day students: £19,878 Residential students: £41,375|
Our Pre-IB programme provides quality academic teaching to support your progression to the IB Diploma
Subject choices: Our Pre-IB course enriches your subject knowledge in the key areas covered in the IB Diploma including English Literature, English Language, Maths, Arts, Humanities and Science
Flexible progression options: If you successfully complete our Pre-IB course, you can choose to progress to our IB Diploma
Internationally recognised qualification: We have just launched a new IGCSE in English and Maths, which enables you to complete our Pre-IB course and gain an international qualification
Quality teaching: We have offered the IB Diploma for over 40 years. Our Pre-IB course is taught by specialist teaching staff who deliver our IB Diploma; many of whom are IB examiners
England’s first IB World School: Our experience reflects our academic resources, including well-equipped science laboratories and modern teaching spaces to inspire learning
Flexible start dates: You can start our Pre-IB course in September, January or April
Pre-IB methodology: A key aspect of our Pre-IB course is the emphasis on skills development and establishing a globally-minded outlook. This links in with the qualities and attributes of the IB learner profile which encourages learners to become knowledgeable, open minded, inquirers, thinkers, communicators, principled, risk-takers, reflective, balanced and caring
Discover new experiences: Creativity, Activity, Service (CAS) promotes the opportunity to have fun and develop skills through new experiences. Create your own CAS programme from over 50 experiences a week.Please note that Service is not a compulsory element, instead you can choose between two Creativity and one Activity, or two Activity and one Creativity element.
More than studying: As well as our CAS programme, our academic provision includes sports and social activities at the college
Maximum classes of 15 students: Small class sizes of 15 students provides quality academic support
Pastoral support: We have a strong pastoral provision to support your wellbeing during your studies
Thriving multicultural city: The academic resources in Oxford, make it an inspiring place to study.
IGCSE courses in Maths and English which can be taken as part of your Pre-IB course
The IGCSE adds to the scope and quality of our Pre-IB provision. The key benefits include:
- Excellent preparation for the IB Diploma: if you are selected to take the iGCSE in Maths, you will gain a recognised qualification in Maths whilst also being completely equipped for our two new IB Maths courses – “Analysis and Approaches” and “Applications and Interpretation”
- Complements progression to the IB Diploma: if you are selected to take the iGCSE in English, you will gain a specialist award in English either as a native or non-native speaker which will allow you to be fully prepared for either our Group 1 or Group 2 English course offering at IB level
- Dedicated support: with small-class teaching and expert tuition you will build your mathematical and linguistic skills in a supportive academic environment
- Flexible course options: the majority of students will be able to access one of our IGCSE English courses. More able mathematicians will also be able to access our IGCSE Maths course.
- Quality teaching: we have established a reputation for teaching excellence for over 60 years
- Intensive study: You can complete the IGCSE qualification in just one year. Our next cohort starts in September 2019
- Renowned awarding body: Our awarding body is Cambridge Assessment, which is a well-known quality provider of the IGCSE
- Benefits future career aspirations: A specialist qualification in Maths and English can complement your university application, support professional development and strengthen your career prospects, as the IGCSE is recognised by employers worldwide.
- The core subjects are English and Maths. All students take 4 hours of mathematics a week, 2 hours of World Literature and 8 hours of English (IB groups 1, 2 & 5). English and Maths classes are arranged by ability so that you receive the right level of support. Students taking the Maths IGCSE will have an additional 2 hours of weekly mathematics tuition.
- You will select 3 of each per semester (in subject groups 1 to 6). We offer 4 Humanities subjects, 4 Sciences and 4 Arts subjects (groups 3, 4 & 6).
Contact the Department
|Chris or Olivia|
|+44 1865 517304|
|Office hours: Monday-Friday 0900-1700 GMT|