• a unique three-week course
• refine and develop your study skills
Prepare for your IB Diploma this summer
|David Fowkes, Director of IB Summer Courses explains: This course is exclusively for students who will be starting an IB Diploma programme in the autumn of 2018.|
Why take the IB Introduction?
The IB Diploma is highly valued by universities and employers worldwide. Its unique combination of breadth with depth provides superb preparation for further study and the world of work. The St Clare’s, Oxford IB Introduction course provides students with an invaluable head start on their own IB Diploma course.
Develop skills vital for success in the Diploma Programme
Students taking this course will:
- Develop skills vital for success in the Diploma Programme
- Meet the three main styles of literature
- Be introduced to the Theory of Knowledge
- Develop “hands on” practical science skills
- Collaborate with others in the CAS/Arts project
- Receive professional careers guidance
Devised, developed, and delivered by our own highly experienced IB Diploma staff, this is a three-week course that exploits the full range of IB Diploma specific facilities in England’s longest established IB World School. Activities based around the theory of knowledge and international mindedness are embedded throughout the programme.
Week 1: Language and Literature
Teaching groups are arranged according to English ability. The three main genres of literature are introduced — using a Shakespeare play as the central focus. The week culminates with an open air, live performance of the play in an Oxford college.
Week 2: Science and Arts
Students choose from practical Biology, Chemistry or Physics in the well-equipped specialist science laboratories. In the CAS/Arts project, students collaborate in small groups to devise and develop a performance, drawing themes from the previous week’s work on Shakespeare.
Week 3: Mathematics and Humanities
An introduction to IB Mathematics in groups according to ability. A choice of history, psychology, or economics classes. “Spare” time is devoted to putting the final touches to the CAS/Arts project ready for a performance to other students on the penultimate day of the course.
Contact the Department
Highlights of the Adult Summer Courses at the International College, including study visits, excursions and social activities.
As part of their Leadership Course, students listened to fascinating talks by STV CEO Rob Woodward and former editor of the Guardian newspaper Alan Rusbridger.
As just one of many trips and excursions offered to students studying on our Summer School we took a trip on a glorious sunny day to Windsor Castle, one of the many homes of Her Majesty The Queen. Windsor is only a 1 hour drive from Oxford. Have a look at some of the...
Dates and fees
|IB Introduction||1 July – 21 July||3||£3996|
|IB Introduction||22 July – 11 August||3||£3996|
All course fees for teenagers include:
- residential accommodation in double or triple rooms
OR single room in homestay with a local host
- full board — three meals per day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
- teaching materials including a student folder
- certificate of attendance and academic report
- bed linen and towels
- one excursion per week including entrance fees
- full programme of social, cultural, and sporting activities in the afternoons and evenings
- travel and medical insurance
- please read our Terms and Conditions
Not included in the fees:
- airport transfers
- personal spending money. We advise £70 per week for personal expenses and extra excursions
- damage deposit of £30 (payable on arrival and refundable at the end of stay)
- express courier fees £25 (if required for visa documents)
- assisted airport check-in service on departure — a fee of £30 will be added to your invoice
- arrangements for meeting or checking in unaccompanied minors — a fee of £50 will be charged for this service
- occasional optional activities (disco, ice-skating, pizza-making, for example), which vary from £5 – £10.
Independent Schools Association
Independent Schools Council
IB World School