English courses for teenagers 15-17 this summer
Join us this summer and experience a memorable holiday learning English with other teenagers from around the world.
- we have English Language courses for students at all levels
- you can choose to come for two, three, four weeks or even longer from mid-June to mid-August
- live in a college house with other teenagers, or
- choose to live with a carefully chosen homestay in Oxford
- take part in some great activities on campus
- enjoy exciting trips and excursions around Oxford, to London and theme parks
We want you to learn — we want you to have fun!
Dates and fees
|30 July – 12 August||two weeks||£1692|
|6 August – 19 August||two weeks||£1692|
|30 July – 19 August||three weeks||£2451|
What do the fees include?
Lessons and teaching materials
Residential or homestay
Breakfast, lunch, and dinner every day
Activities, sports, and one excursion per week
All course fees for teenagers include:
- residential accommodation in double or triple rooms
OR single room in homestay with a local host
- full board — three meals per day (breakfast, lunch, and dinner)
- teaching materials including a student folder
- certificate of attendance and academic report
- bed linen and towels
- one excursion per week including entrance fees
- full programme of social, cultural, and sporting activities in the afternoons and evenings
- travel and medical insurance
- please read our Terms & Conditions
Not included in the fees:
- airport transfers
- personal spending money. We advise £70 per week for personal expenses and extra excursions
- damage deposit of £30 (payable on arrival and refundable at the end of stay)
- express courier fees £25 (if required for visa documents)
- assisted airport check-in service on departure — a fee of £30 will be added to your invoice
- arrangements for meeting or checking in unaccompanied minors — a fee of £50 will be charged for this service
- occasional optional activities (disco, ice-skating, pizza-making, for example) which vary from £5 – £10
Looking after your child
Our highest priority is the welfare, safety, and happiness of our students. Parents and students can feel reassured by our large support team made up of:
- the experienced Course Director in overall charge of every aspect of the stay
- two Summer Deans available to care for the students 24 hours a day
- teachers committed to providing interesting, entertaining, and valuable lessons
- activity organisers encouraging participation in sports, social events, excursions, and visits
- the College Nurse on site in the mornings
- the warden in your house in the evenings
In fact, every member of the team takes their duty of care extremely seriously. Each employee has the right qualifications and experience for their roles and is thoroughly checked (by the DBS) for their suitability to work with children and young adults.
Activities and excursions
There’s an exciting programme of sports and social activities in the afternoons, evenings, and at weekends after classes.
- full-day and half-day excursions during the week
(Please note: one excursion per week is included in the course price)
- sporting, cultural, and fun activities (included in course price)
- trips to the disco, ice-rink, and punting are available (at cost price)
- Stratford-upon-Avon — full-day excursion to the birthplace of William Shakespeare
- London — Thames River boat cruise and shopping in the Westfield Shopping Centre
- Bath — tour of the town and the famous Roman Baths
- London Musical — performance of the fantastic Phantom of the Opera in London’s West End
Sample activity programme
Frequently asked questions
These are some questions that we are often asked. If you can’t see your question here, please contact us directly.
What happens on arrival day?
Come to the Banbury Road Campus reception at 139 Banbury Road on Sunday. A member of the Ambassador Team gives you a Welcome Pack, tells you about the programme, and gives you a tour of the college. Your room is available from 14:00 and refreshments are provided in the café or dining room. Don’t forget, there is a welcome event for you in the evening so join in the activities on site!
When do I start my course?
Teaching programmes start at 09:00 on Mondays in the Hall. The Course Director welcomes you and you are divided into random groups for the placement test. You return to the Hall for a briefing about life at College and life in Oxford, and there is another group activity to help assess your English Language level before lunch. Formal classes begin on Tuesday mornings.
When does my course finish?
Classes finish on the last Friday of each course with the formal presentation of reports and certificates in the Hall.
When do I leave at the end of my course?
Departures take place on Saturdays and we ask you to vacate your room by 10:00 in the morning.
Is insurance covered in the course fees?
Yes. The course fees include travel insurance cover with an independent insurance company organised by St Clare’s brokers. For full details please download: Travel Insurance Policy. If you need to make any claims on the policy you must contact the insurance company directly. Some parents choose to buy additional insurance for personal possessions like phones, laptops, and cameras.
Are the airport transfers included in the course fees?
No. St Clare’s arranges transfers between the airport and Oxford at the request of the parent. If you would like a transfer, it must be booked at least three weeks before your course starts.
Are there any course rules?
Yes. At St Clare’s we expect every teenager to behave in a way that shows respect and consideration for their fellow students and the college community as a whole. In brief, students must be polite, observe the curfew in the evening and laws that apply to use of alcohol or drugs. Fuller details are available: ‘Expectations of teenagers on summer courses’. Please note: We reserve the right to expel any student whose behaviour we find unacceptable. In this unlikely event the student/parent will bear any additional costs.
How much spending money should I bring?
We recommend £70 per week for personal expenses. NB The House Warden requires a damage deposit of £30 from the student on arrival. In most cases this is refundable on departure day.
Who looks after me in my house/residence?
Each house is supervised by a residential warden. Students and parents should read and agree to the Parent Agreement.
Can I share a bedroom with my friend?
It is part of St Clare’s mission to promote international understanding through education. Every effort is made to integrate students from different nationalities. You may, therefore, request the same house as a friend, but not the same room.
What about personal laundry?
Washing machines are available for use by students although a small charge is made for soap.
St Clare’s arranges transfers between the airport and Oxford at the request of the parent. Please note: Students must travel on the specified course dates as below:
|Arrivals on Sundays from 06:00 to 21:00||Departures on Saturdays after 10:00|
- we cover all the major London airports — Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Luton, and London City
- we use individual and shared taxis plus mini-buses as appropriate
- all taxi drivers and members of our airport team are thoroughly checked
- prices are for one-way transfers*
- additional charges apply for:
a) unaccompanied minors (UMs)*
b) assisted check-in*
|Airport transfers (one way)|
|London Heathrow (LHR)||£115||London Gatwick (LGW)||£170|
|London Luton (LTN)||£135||London Stansted (STN)||£165|
- If you are travelling together with friends on the same flight we can collect you together. It is essential that you provide the names of your friends at the time of booking the transfer.
- Airport transfers must be booked and paid for at least three weeks before arrival.
- Please do not book your flights until you have received confirmation of your child’s place on the course.
If you reserve an Unaccompanied Minor (UM) service with the airline, you must also reserve the St Clare’s UM service. We charge an additional £50 for this, which covers the additional costs for our staff to collect your child from the airline on arrival and check-in your child on departure. It is essential that you inform us of your child’s UM status when you send us flight details.
If you have not reserved a UM service with the airline, you can still reserve the St Clare’s Assisted Check-in service for departure. We charge £30 for this service and this covers escorting your child into the terminal and helping them with check-in on departure.
|Unacommpanied minor service (UM)||£50|